Thematic analysis workshop July 10 and 11, 2018
Register now for this six hour workshop run over two days, delivered face to face at the AUT Akoranga campus.
This is a six hour workshop run over two days, delivered face to face at the AUT North Campus. The course will introduce the principles and practice of thematic analysis (TA) as described by Virginia Braun, Victoria Clarke and their colleagues. It aims to support those who are planning to undertake qualitative research, or who have already collected qualitative data and are unsure how to analyse it. The workshop is a mix of short lectures, practical activity, and group work, and while focused broadly, is aimed at supporting postgraduate students and those new to qualitative research or to thematic analysis.
- Material describing the principles of Braun and Clarke’s version of TA, and how to best make use of its theoretical flexibility.
- Demonstrations, practical exercises, and small group work with real data to develop skills in familiarisation, coding, and theme development.
- Feedback to help improve understanding.
- Have an understanding of the principles and phases that enable the performance of a high quality thematic analysis
- Have gained practical experience in each of the phases of thematic analysis, including how to interpret and conceptualise data.
- Be aware of other approaches to qualitative analysis, and how Braun and Clarke’s version of TA differs from other approaches to TA.
Gareth Terry is a Senior Research Fellow in the Centre for Person Centred Research in the School of Clinical Sciences at AUT. He has worked extensively with Virginia Braun and Victoria Clarke, including empirical research, writing methodological publications on thematic analysis, and co-facilitating workshops. He has had a wealth of experience doing thematic analysis and has run a number of thematic analysis workshops in Aotearoa/New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Where: AJ105 (North Campus)
When: Tuesday July 10 and Wednesday July 11, 2018 – 9.30am-12.30pm both days
Cost: $150 (Postgraduate students: $100)
Contact: email@example.com for more information
Registration site: Registration