Introduction to Qualitative Research Workshop Tuesday 16th April 2019
Tuesday 16th April, 9-12 midday, Dr Gareth Terry and Assoc. Prof. Nicola Kayes will be holding a qualitative research workshop aimed at supporting postgraduate students and those academics new to qualitative research.
This is a three hour workshop, delivered face to face at the AUT Akoranga campus. The course will introduce the principles and practice of qualitative research. It aims to support those who are planning to undertake qualitative research, who need an introduction to types of knowledge that can be produced using qualitative methods, and/or who wish to be able to critically read and engage with qualitative evidence. The workshop is a mix of short lectures, practical activity, and group work, and while focused broadly, is aimed at supporting postgraduate students and those new to qualitative research.
Registration: Online registration link
- Material describing the principles and practice of qualitative research, and what it offers researchers and their substantive field.
- Demonstrations, practical exercises, and small group work.
- Feedback to help improve understanding.
- Have an understanding of the principles of qualitative research.
- Have gained practical experience of writing a qualitative research question, and designing a qualitative research project.
- Be aware of other approaches to research and the types of knowledge qualitative approaches can produce.
- Be aware of what constitutes quality in a qualitative research project.
Nicola Kayes is the Director of the Centre for Person Centred Research in the School of Clinical Sciences at AUT. She has experience using and supervising qualitative health research, primarily drawing on applied qualitative methodologies.
Gareth Terry is a Senior Research Fellow in the Centre for Person Centred Research in the School of Clinical Sciences at AUT. He has 15 years of experience using and teaching qualitative methods. He is an author of a number of chapters on thematic analysis, and co-author on an upcoming book on the method for the American Psychological Association.
Where: AJ105 (AUT- Akoranga Campus)
When: Tuesday April 16, 9am-12noon
Cost: $100 Full rate
$50 Postgraduate Student rate
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Contact: Gareth Terry
Phone: 09 921 9999 ext 7764